Intercalating abroad: first month (and-a-bit)



Hellooo loves!! 

This blog post is the first in my 'Intercalating Abroad' series, which will be a bit different to my usual blogging style. The writing is a little more informal and reflective in nature, providing more of an authentic insight into my experience in the Netherlands so far and what God is doing here! Sooo let's have a chat about my first month (and-a-bit) here!







I feel like I'm pretty much settled in terms of practicality - getting to know the area, my uni routine and workload, etc... Overall I've found it to be a refreshing change from med school, but at the same time it's also deepened my appreciation for med school in a new way. Here there's a lo(ooo)t of reading and it's a problem-based learning style, which is cool but defo means much more independent study and taking initiative for your own learning. I really like the change of scenery and the new environment, I've always loved exploring new places and it's been refreshing to be in a brand new place with new sights, a new culture, new people, etc! I've found the process of finding community here a little tougher than I anticipated though. I'm incredibly grateful that I've made some friends, found a church and am gradually making connections, but with covid things are often still up in the air and it's been tough at times. However, things are moving along and progressing each day, so I'm continuing to trust God and believe that He will help me get more settled here. 


HARDEST THINGS ABOUT MOVING

This is gonna sound funny (don't laugh), but for me one of the hardest thing so far about moving here has probably been re-adjusting to riding a bike...which sounds so weird, but I haven't ridden one since I was a kid so its been interestinggg. Holland is famous for it's multitude of bike riders, so I already anticipated before moving that I'd end up riding a bike to most places. But lemme tell youuu, it's been harder than I thought, especially when I have no idea where I'm going :')

On that note, another hard thing is that sinking feeling I get in my belly when I'm compleEEEtely out of my comfort zone. I've been in situations before where I don't know where anything is/who anyone is...but being in a completely new country also adds language barriers and cultural differences, which means I've occasionally ended up in situations where I'm completely lost and have no idea where I am or where I'm going, plus I literally have no idea what anyone's saying or who anyone is. Covid-related stuff also definitely contributes towards general uncertainty and adds a new type of complexity to being in a new place with so many new people. Not having my usual support system around means I've definitely felt lonely and far from home at times, as well as ended up in situations where I feel really out of my depth. But I thank God for google maps+translate, as well as the ability to keep in contact with my friends and family during those times. 








BEST THINGS ABOUT MOVING

The whole process of moving here has taught me so much about God's faithfulness. Despite the pandemic, He made it possible for me to travel and settle into life in a whole new country. God's provision so far has truly been above and beyond what I prayed for, such as blessing me with lovely housemates and coursemates, as well as a church where I'm able to learn about His word and grow alongside my new-found family of believers. 

I'm also incredibly grateful for the chance to be in a new environment. I've found it really refreshing being in a completely new place and I'm really enjoying getting to know my new city and exploring some of its many charms. The new environment comes with new people, a new culture, new study topics and so much more... I can feel my worldview is expanding already and I'm learning how to embrace change, live in the moment and rely on God more. 

On this same note, I feel like I've been hearing His voice a lot more clearly since I got here. God has been teaching me new things every day and convicting me of so many different things. Jesus is undoubtedly using my new circumstances to provide fresh perspective and show me areas in my life that He wants to challenge and grow me, as well as heal and restore me.






Sooo that's it for this post! Chat to you soon :)

Lots of love and God bless,

Jem <3 xxx 

Comments

Popular Posts