Intercalating abroad: global health vs medicine (lessons learned)


Hey loves <3

I'm in the last few months of my intercalated year here in NL, so I thought I'd tell you a bit about how it compares to medicine and some insight gained along the way! enjoy :)


MOTIVATION

I love medicine. Medical practice, treatments and interventions can have life-saving impacts. However, these point-of-care possibilities are just one aspect of health and wellness. Prevention, health communication and advocacy are incredibly important to stop people becoming unwell in the first place. This was part of what made me want to study global health by taking a year out of medicine, obtaining a more holistic worldview when it comes to healthcare - particularly regarding social determinants of health... yet I also realise that I have always been this type of person, even before starting uni. I have always had multiple interests and I enjoy considering the connections and intersections in our world. For me, this makes focusing on a single symptom or disease a little difficult without understanding the context or situation someone is in. 


MEDICINE VS GLOBAL HEALTH

Medicine requires both a breadth and depth of understanding of the human body, what can go wrong and why - as well as how to help. In this way, med school has blessed me with essential practical skills and problem-solving ability, as well as time management and prioritisation. However, it is not the most conducive environment for cultivating critical thinking...

Global health has allowed me to develop completely different skills, including critical analysis and how to formulate and justify my own opinions, as opposed to simply accepting what I've been taught as the only "correct" option or explanation. Global health has also introduced me to new theories and frameworks, such as intersectionality and critical race theory, which have allowed my predispositions for connect things I see in the world to thrive, alongside developing the boldness to question the social constructs and injustices I see and experience. However, many of the concepts learned in global health require actionable areas and practical implications to actually make an impact on the individuals making up the masses.

This is why I believe medicine and global health are an incredible fusion, highlighting important health trends and areas in need of intervention for the benefit of both individuals and whole societies. Combining the two fields provides the theory (anthropological, critical, etc) required to consider individuals in the contexts of their environment, histories, lived experiences and social injustices - which all contribute to their health outcomes. 



(image source: http://occupydesign.org.uk/visualising-the-economic-system-and-alternatives/ )


LESSONS LEARNED

Over the last 4 years, God has taught me some incredible things and I am excited to keep learning more. This year, I have appreciated gaining a more holistic picture of what influences to health and wellness. This has made me appreciate medicine even more and it's potential not just to impact an individual patient, but advocate for justice and be part of a wider approach to health improvement. Although it is not a perfect system, in the UK we are incredibly blessed with a healthcare system that provides most people with healthcare access at the point of need - something that so many people in the world are still lacking. It is also essential to shift from an equality approach to equity and liberation approaches, using our privileges and gifts to equal the playing field and create more opportunities to improve lives. 

Ultimately, I want to learn more compassion and gain a bigger heart for the issues on God's heart. There are a lot of hurting people in our world and the truth is that one person can't do everything. But by finding the specific cause(s) God wants us to advocate for and pour into, we will impact lives in a much more meaningful way. 


Matthew 22: 34-40
'The Greatest Commandment'

34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”



(image source: https://medium.com/collective-power/equity-or-equality-why-it-matters-f0593f5d47c )



FINAL THOUGHTS

I find that it's not global health vs medicine at all. The focus of healthcare is often on treating disease, yet these manifestations are only symptoms of wider societal issues and the pitfalls of the human condition. When combined, the two fields have great potential to holistically care for people and address their needs, treating them as unique individuals made and loved by Jesus. 


Much love and God bless,

Jem xxx



Comments

Popular Posts